1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Newbie

Thanks for letting me join in this SAL.  Blogger has not been kind to me the last couple of weeks and I have had terrible trouble signing in,  I have had to reset my password so many time - hopefully everything is right from now on.

I am having great difficuilty choosing my fabrics.  I have decided to use fat quarters out of my stash and hopefully it will all come together.  I am fairly new to quilting so this is a big challenge for me.

So here is my first question.  When  is says 6 yards total of 8 assorted cream/beige prints, I am assuming that it is about 70cm of each colour and some of this is used for applique.   Could someone confirm this pretty please.

Annette B

6 comments:

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

Hi and welcome to the group. Yes you are on the right track :o) I am also relatively new to quilting also so I fully understand the challenge in the fabric selection process :o) If you are unsure of something you could always post a picture here and the girls would be more than willing to offer some advice.

Tracey Holdyk said...

Hi and Welcome. I am a newbie too and choosing fabric is some what of a challenge for me. I will be using Butterscotch and Roses from fig Tree. I ordered a layer cake and will be purchasing some cream yardage soon.
Can't wait to see what you choose.
love me :-)

Helen said...

Hi Annette. Congratulations on getting into the SAL. I am still on the waiting list, I imagine it's quite long! I know what you mean about choosing fabric, I'm new to quilting too, and I'm quite nervous about it. Good luck with your fabric choices. I'm sure whatever you go with, it will look great.

Theresa said...

Hi Annette, for the colours I'm using a layer cake of Fig Tree Buttercup and for the creams I got together 6 yards of a variety of creams - some from my stash and then I went on a little shopping trip to get a few more. I'm using 12 different ones in total. As far as I can see, the creams are for the border strips and the pieced blocks of 1" and 2" squares. I have used a few fat quarters and really the only difference from using all full width cuts is in the length of strips that you can cut for the borders. I have all my strips for the borders, 1" & 2" squares and the applique backgrounds cut out now and there is some leftover fabric which will be plenty for me to piece together for the binding.
Good luck choosing - I always find that the hardest part :)

Susan said...

As Sharon says and Kris told me - post a picture and your new sewing mates will offer their opinions. Yes, if you have 8 colours and 70cm of each you should be fine - for backgrounds, the joining strips and squares. (I reckon you will have heaps over.)
If you start with one fat quarter you really love or want to use - then just look for other pieces that tone in and complement the main one. When you have them in a group, you can usually squint and you will see something that looks out of place. Have fun!!

Chookyblue...... said...

welcome Annette........show us some pics.........it's up to you in the end but the girls sure will give some thoughts to you on the fabrics.......