1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fabric Selection - SKoW

I'm Getting ready!

I
I am looking forward to starting this one but first things first ....... picking the fabrics.

This was EASY, I knew a fabric that I wanted to use, just had to find it.
 I am now awaiting the arrival of .......



They will be my basic pallet and when they arrive I will do some more shopping for some co-ordinating colored prints to mix it up a little. My book arrived this morning and I have pulled some basics for the backgrounds, so this is what I have so far.


Just need to get over my fear of Needle Turn Applique and I'm ready to go :o)

Happy stitching, Sharon

P.S.  Any tips on the Needle Turn Applique would be greatly appreciated :o)
I am trying to convince myself to try something different and stay away from the Blanket stitch :o)

16 comments:

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

:o)

Theresa said...

Gorgeous, I love these fabrics. Have a look at the freezer paper and starch method of applique. You prepare the applique pieces and then put them onto the background with the edge already turned under. There are lots of tutorials on the web for it :)

Show and Tell said...

They should look great Sharon....Where did you buy the cream fabric with the blue and red print? I am still looking for some creams and I love that one....Thanks Kate...

Chookyblue...... said...

go for it Sharon......love the fabrics.....

Shiralee Stitches said...

I think you've chosen well....very pretty fabrics......if you find it tricky to get the hang of using your needle to slip under the seam for the needle turn, you can do what Theresa suggested...I use template plastic and fabric starch in an aqua pen that you paint on (less messy than spray)...look at Blueberries website, and you'll see it there....good luck....and have a go, once you get the hang of it, it's relaxing to do (I think)....

Linda said...

Ooo Sharon i love Strawberry Fields or anything Fig Tree. I am doing my quilt in FigTree Buttercup. Also i am trying my hand at needleturn for this quilt, am already having a bit of trouble with the round cherries on the first block, so any tips you get please share.
Xx
Linda

Larissa said...

Gorgeous fabric choice ... One of the options I'm tossing up between!! On the subject of needleturn appliqué ... If you can get your hands on a copy of this bi-month's Aussie 'Quilters Compinion', they have a bonus dvd which explains Sarah Fielke's personal way for the technique very well!! Easy to follow and understand!!! If you can't find a copy, let me know your addy and I can send one through!!! I personally loved it!!

Love Bears All Things said...

Sharon, I love your fabric. I'm glad you were honest about your fears. I have been a little concerned about the projects in this book. I toyed with the idea of dropping out and even had a dream about them. I guess I can go out there on the web and find some tutorials. I've done some applique but those tiny pieces and the sharp curves are a concern.
I love your fabric. I like having coordinating pieces like that. I have some polka dots from a Christmas sampler that I'm thinking of using for the background on some of the pieces.
Good luck, hopefully we'll get lots of tips from the more experienced girls.
Mama Bear

Satu said...

Hei Sharon, I adore your fabrics; beautiful creams and Strawberry Fields range is one of my favorites! Don't worry about needleturn. I was first very scared of it too, but when I tried it once or twice, it's now my favorite applique method. And there really is a lot of info about it...

FloS said...

I love this range of fabrics !! It will be a great quilt !!
Can't wait to see all the different versions !!
Florence

Fiona said...

Hi Sharon... beaut fabrics... I have been learning needleturn this year and a project like this is perfect.... I got quite a few links and tips.... just scroll to the needleturn one.. and also the one below it has additional tips and links I got from different people
http://bubzrugz.blogspot.com/p/my-tutorials.html ... I think the best tip was try various ways and do the one that you are most comfortable with... let us know how you go...
Hugz

Helen said...

Hi Sharon. I have just been watching some u-tube videos done by Shabby Fabrics, showing the applique method using freezer paper. I am going to try that method I think(listen to me, assuming I'll be part of this SAL!!). Shabby Fabrics sprayed the spray starch into the lid and then used a stipple brush to apply it, but a starch pen sounds like a great idea.Good luck with whatever method you choose.

Kris said...

Very pretty! I am yet to choose my fabrics. Must get a move on! I love your creams. They look fantastic. I think I will stash shop for the fabrics, but will have to hit a shop for the backgrounds. I don't seem to have many of them in my stash at all.

suzitee said...

SNAP! I think I'll be using Strawberry Fields for my SKoW quilt too...such beautiful colours :) Don't hold me to that though..LOL...I'm also tossing up Delilah by Tanya Whelan :) Such a hard decision!

Clare said...

Love your background fabrics and think your main choice nice too. For needleturn `Quilters Companion`#51 has DVD by Sarah Fielke.Easy to follow.Also Robyn Falloon has DVD QC# 41.Hope this helps.Clare.

Susie said...

Absolutely LOVE your fabric choice. I too am in same boat about needleturn - have never tried it but looking forward to it. Happy Stitching, Susie