After getting my blanket stitch frames finished before we went to New Zealand at the beginning of the month nothing further was done till today.
Seeing as the appliqué pieces are so small I decided not only to use my stash but to dive into my scrap boxes.
I pulled out the pieces in the colours that suited and there were quite a few. Some of them were quite small, just crumbs, but it was fun using the tiniest pieces that I could.
It was at about this stage that I had a visit from a certain whip cracker to check up on me. Fortunately I was working away. It didn't matter that I was still in my jarmies and bed hair. Just as well she is a tolerant friend.
I'd like to have used needleturn appliqué, but it was easier, if not that much quicker, to just use machine blanket stitch.
All finished by late this afternoon.
The basket block has a very special fabric in it.
I only had this tiny bit left, which is even tinier now.
This fabric has a bit of a history. My grandmother made a wagga/beadspread for my mum in the early 50s, which has a scrappy patchwork back. There is some of this fabric in that quilt. It probably dates from the 30s. One of the very first pieces of patchwork I ever made was an English paper pieced coathanger cover, back in the early 80s. I used this fabric in that, just a fabric I found in Mum's scrap bag, which then ended up in mine. It is nice to see it being used over such a long period of time.
Now back to the grindstone to get on with March.