1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Sunday, March 17, 2013

March

March - done and dusted!  Wooo Hooo!
 
I have to admit, I was wondering if I was on a different planet to some of my fellow SALer's - I mean, I was feeling hopelessly slow at stitching after reading some of our ladies rolled their stitcheries over in an evening.....it took me two and a bit......OK - three!  How speedy are some of you gals?  Envious much!
 
Then it took me another few days to have the courage to piece the teeny tiny 9 patch.....(I got lazy and only used a 4 patch on the base - shhhh, our secret).....and last night - well after mustering some dutch courage attempted sewing it all together.  Mission accomplished!!!!

 
I used Bear stuffing Beans to add some weight to mine with wadding on top - was a little worried if I used rice and needed to wash my pincushion I'd end up with rice pudding.
 
I also have the outer of a matching thread catcher completed...will definately finish this tonight....got so excited stitching it all together, I forgot to attach the pellon -'doh - will have to iron it to the lining instead ;-)

 
I used Ruby as my choice of fabric - now there is a story with that, but you'll have to read my next post on my blog to find out about that - intrigued????  Well, don't go rushing over there - its not up yet.....but it will be before I finish holidays.

Now just a question - the linen that we use in the SKOW bag - is hanky linen the correct weight?  I got all excited at the Fabric Parcel in Wynyard on Friday and grabbed this lovely piece


(no, that is not 3 other luscious fabrics sitting on top at all....just a figment of your imagination), but when I got it home I began to wonder if hanky linen is a different weight to what we need to use.....I'm sure one of you lovely ladies will be able to let me know.
 
I also have a funny story - after reading a SAL post by a Mum of boys, I had to wonder what a "Hackey Sack" was.......my son gets up this morning, picks up my pincushion and says "Hey, a hackey sack!!!" 
 
I don't think so!
 
xoxoxo

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post Annie,well done on a beautiful finish.xx

Susan said...

Lovely fabrics - I was going to use rice - I hadn't thought about it needing a wash!!! Then again I don't have any boys around who might be tempted to use it as s hackey sack!
Personally I probably wouldn't use hanky linen for the bag - I'd probably go for something a bit sturdier...or a textured cotton would be nice too.

Noela said...

Love the colours, well done. Hugs....

Marilyn said...

Lovely pin cushion. Ruby is abeautiful fabric range.
I agree with Susan, the hanky linen is probably too fine, and I would use something sturdier for a bag.

Maria said...

Loving the fabrics you used for the pin cushion. Will look great with a matching thread catcher..
I would also use a sturier fabric than Hanky Linen for your tote.

Fiona said...

such a pretty pincushion and thread catcher.....
I used hanky linen on my bag... and am happy with it... it is all backed with pellon...
Hugz

Chookyblue...... said...

I think I have some heavier linen to stitch mine on........what ever you like to use thought........I like the other fabrics you choose too........

cute pincushion.......mine weren't stitched in a night.......too many bugs......