1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Confused

Hello, I'm Sammie, AKA Mama Bear from Bears at Home. I live in the United States, Southeast. Although Alabama has its most southern border on the Gulf of Mexico, I live in the northern part of the state near Tennessee and it is more mountainous. We live in what is known as the Tennessee Valley, in Huntsville, home of NASA and the Space Camp. I have participated in SAL from the beginning although I didn't do the year of small projects. My Husband and I are semi-retired after 50 years of marriage, but we're both very active. He now does home health care 3 mornings a week and consults with his former employer in Tennessee. We have 2 grown children, 5 grands and 1 great.

I joined up for this project a little late and just got my book from Michelle. I have read it and am confused. Has anyone sorted out the background squares by measurements and tagged for each applique? Also where do I find the star and heart? There are numerous ones in the book but which is for the quilt? Here are the fabrics I've pulled from my stash and the cream for the background, although I may pick up some more Christmas prints when they come out in the stores.
 Doing the projects with a group has kept me on schedule and enabled me to finish the quilts. I have been blogging since 2006 and now count many of you as friends.
Mama Bear

6 comments:

Raewyn said...

Hi Sammie, it's exciting that you are making a start on your quilt! You have a lovely pile of fabrics there :-) For June's stocking block you will be using one of the 8 1/2" x 10 1/2" background fabric squares... you can see its orientation from the layout diagram on page 10. For the star and heart blocks across the top and bottom, use page 21. Seperate out a star or a heart for the single blocks. Hope that helps! I'm looking forward to seeing your first few stitches!

Fiona said...

Hi Sammie, great your book has arrived, and lovely to read a bit more about you... Raewyn I think has answered any queries.... you will soon be on your way with it...

Hugz

Anonymous said...

Hey, you aren't far from me! Relative to everyone else involved in the SAL, at least. LOL I'm in Knoxville. I'm planning on cutting my stuff for each part as I go. I absolutely cannot keep track of it all at once, nor can I keep from losing bits, even if I store them safely. Plus my brain likes small bits a time fed to it. LOL It's why I do scrap quilts!

Love Bears All Things said...

Thanks everyone for all the help..I have made notes in my book and I'm ready to go...this will be the first applique and embroidery I've done since my shoulder surgery in November...I did recently hem the Princess's prom dress and although shoulder was sore, no lasting effects..
I've been looking at the photo of the quilt in the back of the book and I may rethink my fabric choices..
Mama Bear

Narelle said...

Hi Sammie, looking forward to sewing along together 😊

Susan said...

Hi Sammie -
it's great to see some non Aussies joining in too - looking forward to your progress pics!