1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Quilting

Cherise, in the previous post, is going to hand quilt using perle thread. Some of you have sent your quilts to professional long-arm quilters.
What did the rest of you do or plan to do?
I still have not ventured far from the ditch. I was thinking of ditch stitching all the columns, locking down horizontally at the little squares in the columns and going around the applique blocks. Some of the applique blocks are too big to leave unquilted.This is where I'm looking for inspiration.
Any ideas????

Kayly

7 comments:

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

I am not going to be much help but all I did was in the ditch up and down all the strips, around the outside of each applique block. In the ditch on some of the larger pieced sections and arould the edge of all the applique. When / If I ever get the hang of FMQ I might be tempted to go back and add some more but at the moment it is up on the wall and I love it! :) have fun with yours. hugs

De said...

THis is where I am stuck too.

Jan Quigley said...

I'll probably cross hatch behind all the picture blocks, by hand using perle or a thin crochet cotton. I'll work to the edge of the shapes as it makes them pop to the front. I've cross hatched a few things now & I like the look. It's also easy as I mark the spaces between with masking tape. I've never been brave enough to 'draw' on a quilt for quilting so I'm limited to straight rows I can mark with masking tape. I have used the 1/4" tape to echo quilt around shapes but it's pretty fiddly getting it to follow the shape. Not sure about all the sashing rows yet.

Susan said...

Well I am a little undecided too, but Im thinking 1/4" either side of the vertical seams and inside each block.. Something decorative in the blocks of 1 and 2" squares would be nice... and something in the backgrounds of the applique blocks like cross hatching but I do not have time to hand do that what I end up with though... well not sure.

suzitee said...

I'm still stuck on this too... a decision has to be made soon! I can almost feel that whip ;)

Chookyblue...... said...

was worrying about this but if I can get my top finished by Monday early I can get it quilted by my quilting angel........the pressure is on.........

Susie said...

Good question! I think I am with Sharon. Bit of ditch stitching and around big pieces. I would love to practise some FMQ but don't feel it is the right piece to do it in..I love hand quilting but not sure yet how it would go with so much details in the quilt. Will have to wait till I finish - only up to my second column!!